wabowlscum.com

100% skateboarding
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Ready to skate again
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Sketchy

Hi all, I moved to Australia (Perth) a year ago. I skated for years in the UK but had to stop when the acne cleared up as I was getting weird looks, plus you know it's time to stop when you turn up at a skate park and someone asks if you've come to pick your kids up!! At 34 I still comment on a nice set of steps, a good hand rail or a well waxed kerb. I stumbled across a news article about a load of older guys skating in Perth and thought that this could be the way to go. How does it work? Do you guys get together regularly? I read something on here about a guy with 10 acres in Mandurah with ramps etc, sounds like heaven, any room for a fat old pommy board-breaker? Used to be a tradie too so I'd be willing to lend a hand (no tools though) when I'm back from working up North.

Thanks.

Karl.

Post subject: Re: Ready to skate again
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:13 pm 
Sketchy

this site just gets better, just seen a load of pics of some of the get togethers, boards, booze and bands, looks fantastic, I play drums too so If any bands out there need someone to make them look good let me know. No kit yet though, the only thing we brought over from the UK was the cat and she doesn't take to kindly to being hit with drum sticks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:05 am 
Ripper

Welcome Karl, I used to be one of those pommy buggers too but the locals have beaten it out of me now! :)

The Mandurah ramps are at my bro's place (only just after last weeks bushfire..eek!) so you're welcome to come break some boards down there any time. If not there are sessions in Perth most Thursday nights and weekends. Vic park bowl (Mcallum Park, Canning Hwy) is a good place to meet the scum. Usually a few of us hanging around there or keep an eye on the hook ups thread for sessions going down.

It's not about age or how good you are, just rolling for the good times.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 pm 
Sketchy

Hi and thanks for the welcome, I appreciate the invite to your bro's place too, it'd be good to get back into it away from prying eyes and the shouts of 'paedo!!' Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to beat the pommy out of someone? When can expect to be fully assimilated? I was telling a mate about this site last night and he confessed to being an old skater too and still had a board and then his missus piped up and said her boss was silver shredder too, sounds like we're like woodlouse, find one and a million others come creeping out from under the mouldy old lino. I'll be taking you up on the offer to come down and meet up at one of the get togethers soon. My olds are over at the mo and then I'm starting a new job up north (2 and 1) so it may be a few weeks before I take the plunge. Looking forward to it though. I was a street skater before with the occasional trip to Shrewsbury ramps but I've never skated a concrete bowl before, could be full bike leathers and helmet for the first drop in. I live in Booragoon so I'm pretty close to anywhere that's anywhere. My offer stands as before about helping out at your bro's place too, I don't expect to use the ramps for nout.

Thanks.

Karl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 pm 
Ripper

oh I reckon they'd have you right in a couple of months Karl! :wink:

Thanks for the offer of help but all ramps are good at the moment I think. Sure we'll need a hand at some point though. Feel free to give us a shout when you're back from work and come say hello.